Wednesday, July 7, 2010

If I Only Had A Brain

Define:  Nerd - •Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age-inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. ...


Remember the song the scarecrow sang in The Wizard of Oz?  It began like this...

I could wile away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain


And my head I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain...

I felt like that loveable scarecrow this morning...with my head all full of stuffin'.  Today it was back to the real world.  After enjoying much needed laziness over the long holiday weekend, it was back to my 8AM class this morning.  After I got into my minivan (yes, for cripes sake, I drive a flipping minivan...it could be considered "hot" in some alternate universe - or if I lived on the east coast the past few days - hope you guys get some cooler weather soon - seriously)...like I was saying after I got into my minivan for the third time this morning (yes third - and I hadn't left the garage yet), I was having some serious doubts if the neurons in the ol' brain were going to fire today.  So, I get to class (in the pouring rain) and while I'm waiting for the instructor to arrive, I try to further awaken my sluggish cerebrum by trying to decide which color of blazer he would arrive in - I swear he has one for every day of the week.  Today he was wearing a black blazer with brown slacks...and here I was guessing a brown blazer/black slacks combo...boy was I off.  Tee hee.  I wish I had the guts to tell him he'd look so much better (and younger) if he'd forego the sport coat.  For now, I'll keep working on delivering the message through telepathy. LOL ;)

Now, I do my best to enjoy each and every class I take, and this class has not been my worst experience by far.  It's an interesting class, just a bit unorganized...but who am I to judge??  I had to go back into the house twice this morning after starting my van...TWICE...once for my notebook and once for my cell phone. 
These things may seem trivial to you, but I am lost without my...notebook...did you think I was going to say cell phone?  Seriously - I am such a nerd.  I am the only person in the class that takes notes over everything - or at least the only person in the first two rows (I can't see behind me) but I think there is some invisible nerd forcefield that divides the classroom.  The first two rows define the students (nerds) who really want to learn from the students in the back two rows ,who just want to sleep.  Ha. 

The class I am taking is a science class and I am not really a science-savy person.  It's just not my strong suit, but I try.  I try.  In my class a girl sits next to me.  I like her very much - she's funny and friendly...and young.  I have to laugh because she talks to me throughout the whole class - which is very distracting because I'm old and have cobwebs in my noggin and need to pay attention to the instructor.  Anyway, today she leaned over repeatedly to say things like, "Ugh!  I can't stand this class!"  "Science just isn't my thing!"  "How much loooonger?!?"  I just politely smile and try to figure out what the instructor has said while I was exercising my facial muscles in a positive manner.  It's hard to take pity on my classmate.  She has missed at least 2 weeks of class (summer classes only last 10 weeks).  One of the weeks was for vacation - lucky her - just her and her hubby (they don't have kids).  Yes, she's a bit young and wet behind the ears, and today I just felt like enlightening her a bit when she said to me, "How can you find this stuff so interesting?"

I assured her that I do find class interesting, but there was a time in my life that I perhaps would not have felt this way.  However, after 10+ years of being a stay-at-home mom, my opinion of learning has chaged a bit.  This little gal does not have kids yet,but I wanted her to understand where I was coming from, so I said to her, "When you spend every waking minute of your day, for the majority of 10 years, watching Sesame Street, or Barney, or the Doodlebops, or Teletubbies, or whatever program your children are obsessed with at the time, you seriously start doubting your mental health."  Don't get me wrong, being a Mommy doesn't make you stupid, that's not what I'm saying at all.  But when the majority of your time is spent with people shorter than you (and I'm pretty short), and I'm not saying they're short by some genetic condition (it's just because they're kids, ya know), you feel like you lose your ability to communicate with other adults.  Or, at least communicate intelligently and effectively.  So when I returned to college last fall, I was very concerned if my brain would work how I wanted it to and how I needed it to.  I tried to make my table parter understand that every time I understand what the teacher is saying, and can make some kind of connection with it...that is a small victory for me...and I want to celebrate it!  I am excited that my brain is still capable of learning and I rejoice in taking my notes and listening intently (even if the subject isn't all that interesting to me).  I am a first-class, Grade-A...NERD, and I'm proud of it too! 

Early proof of my nerd-ism:
Yup...what can I say?  n*e*r*d

Blessings,
~S

No comments:

Post a Comment